Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Chicken Rock

I will never forget the day I encountered Chicken Rock. 

My brother was a youth pastor in Mount Vernon, MO.  When I went to visit, I was quickly told by everyone that I have to go to Chicken Rock.  OK, no big deal. 

Boy was I wrong. 

Chicken Rock was BIG.  It was one big rock sitting on top of a cliff overlooking a beautiful lake.  This rock was perfect for watching a great sunset, but it was not used for that purpose.  Nope, people used this rock as natures own special diving board. 

As I looked down, I realized that there was no way I was going to jump.  Besides, how deep is that water anyway?  What if I slip and hit some of the other rocks on the way down?  What if I hit another big rock under that water?  OK, I’ll admit it, fear took over. 

I began to watch other people jump and dive off this rock.  To my amazement, nobody died or even got hurt.  In fact, it seemed like everyone that jumped loved the exhilaration. 

But, I never did jump.  I let fear control my life that day.

When it comes to sharing our faith with others, I believe many of us share the emotions I felt on chicken rock.  Fear takes over.  What if I offend that person?  What if they laugh at me?  What if they never want to be my friend again? 

I can speak from experience that a little fear comes over me anytime I even think about sharing my faith with a friend or stranger.  However, I find that when I just jump and begin to share my faith, the experience is exhilarating.  There may be no greater high.  Especially when you watch someone turn their life over to Christ. 

I was fifteen (17 years ago) when I went to Chicken Rock.  I still regret that I did not jump.  I let fear and “What If” control my life.  I’m positive I missed out on a great experience. 

Stop Clowning Around:

Place your fear aside and just jump.  Share your faith.  It will be the greatest feeling ever.  I Promise.  

No comments: