Monday, August 24, 2009

Facing the Giant


The best way to teach children is to lead by example.
Do as I say and not as I do, does not work.

On Saturday, we decided to head to Elephant Rock State Park. On the way there, I went the wrong direction and ended up at Tom Sauk Mountain State Park. As I drove through the park, I saw it. The Giant. I had faced this giant many times before and lost every battle.
Right in my face it stood, a 5 story tower.

I am afraid of heights. The heights themselves don't bother me, it's the thought of falling. Now I stand before my son, whom I have preached "No Fear" for the last month, trembling at the thought of scaling this tower. Yes, I'm convinced they engineer these towers to be wobbly with many holes to fall through.

As my son said, dad let's go, we began to climb the tower. My son gave out mid way up the 2nd story. Yippee, I get to go down and he does not have to know I am a chicken.

Not true. I knew I had to face this Giant.
I did. I won.
You know what, it was not too bad.

Oh yeah, I'm proud of my boy. Although he never made it to the top of the tower, he tried 3 times.

1 comment:

Margie Epting said...

Thanks for sharing...and for facing your giant!!