Thursday, August 20, 2009

Paralyzing Fear


This past month, I started teaching my 5 year old how to ride a bike. I figured since he was headed to kindergarten, we should give the bike on 2 wheels a try. After all, I loved riding my bike as a child.
My brother might disagree with the last statement. See, I was deathly afraid to ride my bike on 2 wheels. I was very afraid that I would fall and hurt myself. Moral of the story, I was close to 8 years old before I started riding.

Well, my son suffers from the same fear I suffered as a child. It drove me nuts working with him because I knew how much joy he would get from riding if he would just get past his fear. He began riding on his very first try, but it took him at least a month before he believed he was able to ride. You have no idea how frustrating this was for me, his father.

In many moments of life, God steps in and helps me see things from his perspective.
I realize how frustrating it must be to my father (God) as I tremble in fear when He ask me to do something. I'm sure he knows how much enjoyment I will get out of the event if I just get past my fear and believe that I truly can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

Fear is a tool of Satan to paralyze us from accomplishing something great and achieving much enjoyment.
I guess the question we all must answer is this, do we trust our Father enough?

By the way, my son now loves riding his bike and that is all he wants to do when I get home.

No comments: